Third Party Softwares for Presentation,
Data Collection, and Productivity
[这是我和同学 Aaron 一起收集的实用第三方软件清单，介绍给旧约部门的教授和博士生们。这些软件大部分是我们自己日常学习、工作都在用的。我们同时也列出了一些基本的功能。这些功能大部分是我们去年在课堂上向教授和同学们呈现的。如果用得好，有些软件可以大大节约我们的时间。（价格是截止到呈现当天的价格。实际价格以现在的真实价格为准。）]
I. Presentation Apps
A. Screen Recording
- ScreenFlow for Mac ($90/ $89.1 [edu.])
- Records your entire screen, and allows you to:
- Choose one screen if you have multiple monitors
- Record the front camera
- Record audio from the computer microphone
- Record the computer audio
- Edit later after recording
- Zoom in/out
- Add annotations, transitions, etc.
- Export and upload to media websites
- Mac alternatives
- QuickTime Player (FREE)
- Very light work
- No annotation function
- Monosnap (FREE)
- Very light work.
- Limited to cropping from the beginning and/or the end of a recording
- Snagit ($49.95/ $29.95 [edu.]; one license for both Mac and PC)
- Light work
- No callouts, arrows, zoom, blur, etc. functions
- Camtasia Studio ($99/ $75 [edu.])
- Snagit plus the advanced functions such as callouts, arrows, zoom, blur, etc.
- PC alternatives
- Ezvid: FREE
- Snagit: ($49/ $29.95 [edu.]) (for both Mac and Windows)
- BlueBerry FlashBack Express Recorder:
- PLUS ($89/ $39 [on sale now])
- PRO ($199/ $99 [on sale now]
- Camtasia Studio: ($299/ $179 [edu.])
2. Mouse Highlight & Keyboard Display
- Mouseposé for Mac ($9.99)
- Visualizes mouse clicks
- Displays keystrokes
- PC alternatives: PointerFocus ($9.95)
II. Productivity Apps
A. Keyboard Shortcuts
- CheatSheet for Mac (FREE)
- Display all active shortcuts of the current application.
- PC alternatives: KeyRocket Premium ($135/year; $? [edu.])
- It detects user’s habit of operation, and then recommends the available shortcuts for those frequently used operations. Therefore, it is more like a training software.
B. Window Reposition and Resizing
- BetterSnapTool for Mac ($1.99)
- Manage your window positions and sizes
- Windows OS comes with similar built-in functions
C. Password Management for both Mac and PC
- 1Password ($64.99 OR $2.99/mon. License is per person; available in Mac&PC&iOS&android)
- Generates random passwords
- Saves online accounts, passwords, software licenses, credit cards, SSN, etc.
- Automatic login without typing online accounts and passwords
- The only thing you must remember is your Master Password
D. Text Expander apps
- Typinator for Mac (€24.99/ €17.5 [edu.])
- Type regularly used words/images with “short abbreviations”
- Good for daily use, teaching job, and biblical research softwares
- Auto-correct typos
- Fill-in function (a powerful feature) will be added to the next version by the end of the year. I use TextExpander today to demonstrate this function.
- Mac alternatives
- Alfred (introduced below) also has basic snippet function.
- aText ($5)
- TypeIt4Me ($19.99/ $12.99 [edu.])
- PC alternatives: PhraseExpress (FREE for non-commercial use)
E. Launcher etc.
- Alfred for Mac
- Opens files, apps (Similar to “Sportlight Search”)
- Quits all apps
- Search Website: Google, Google maps, and Amazon, etc.
- Search within app: Evernote
- Search 1Password bookmark and login websites
- Basic snippet expanding
- Workflows, etc. (workflow is not as powerful as Keyboard Maestro)
- Mac alternatives
- As powerful as Alfred. Some people prefer LaunchBar over Alfred, others prefer Alfred over LaunchBar.
- PC alternatives: Listary ($19.95)
- Not as powerful as Alfred
- There is also a free version with limited functions
1. Keyboard Maestro for Mac [highly recommended!!!]
- Mimic mouse clicking, keyboard typing, etc. Very powerful tool!
2. PC alternatives: PhraseExpress integrates with the macro program Mouse Recorder, which can record mouse actions as a macro to save time for repetitive mouse operations.
G. Excel Macro for both Mac and PC
- Example: Convert scores into grades and create charts (Excel Macro)
- Process data from Accordance for translation and vocabulary lists
- Example: Process WordChart data from Accordance for the Cairo Damascus document 1-2
- Example: Process Analysis data from Accordance for Genesis 22
- (A little knowledge of programming language is sufficient for using Macro. Just search for examples of Macro strings online and revise them to serve your purpose.)
H. Focus apps
- Focus for Mac ($19.99-39.99)
- Temporary blocking of popular websites to keep one in focus.
- Block websites on schedule
- Stick to Resolutions… Form habits
- PC and Mac Alternative
- FocusMe ($19 – $69)
I. Time Trackers
- Timing for Mac ($39.00)
- Track how you spend your time on computers
- Shows which activities are hogging your time
- Document based tracking
- Drag and drop tracking of projects
- Track non-computer activities
- PC/Mac alternatives and pricing
- RescueTime Premium Edition ($9/month)
J. MailMerge on Google App (Free for 50 emails/day)
- Send customized emails in bulk
- Track emails sent
- Schedule emails
- Good for OTA’s work
- Installation guide
- Goto: http://sheets.google.com
- Sign-in with your sbts account
- Open any spreadsheet
- Click on “Add-ons” and then “Get add-ons”
- Search for “Mailmerge”
- Install “Mailmerge with Attachments”
- Watch video for help.
K. Data Collection Apps
- Evernote + Scannable/Text-grabber (Evernote Premium $69.99/Yr, TextGrabber $4.99, Scannable Free)
- Archive research data
- Access everywhere
- Search everything
- Snap, tag and upload.
L. Blue-light reduction app
- F.lux (Free)
- Adapt your computer screen to time of the day.
- Filter out blue light at night to help you sleep better.
- Auto-timing based on location setting